Bought a new car that suits your lifestyle and your driving experience, well now is the right time to understand what kind of car subwoofers will suit your car and not your décor tastes. Yes, you read it correctly, subwoofers for cars must be purchased in accordance with acoustic settings of your car. It is a huge challenge to fit in the best car audio system. The better than the best option must be a car subwoofer system.
One must keep certain issues in mind while buying the best car subwoofer. The everyday music you hear may have bass lower than usual and the frequency has to match the capacity of the motor vehicle subwoofer which means accurate reproduction of wavelengths of the music. In laymen terms, the wavelength of sound has to match the frequency. For example, in case of 20Hz frequency, the reproduction capacity of the wavelength has to match approximately 56 feet. The smallest car speakers that are pre-installed are not competent enough to match that kind of wavelength. However, if you get the best subwoofer for your car, it will considerably improve the output of your favorite music while you enjoy your commute.
Types of Car Subwoofers
Car subwoofers come in various sizes and types. So, let us figure out the various sizes of the car subwoofers available in the market.
- 8” subwoofers – If you enjoy supple and light bass music then 8” car subwoofer is what you would want to purchase. The output is paced and the music supply is soft and subtle.
- 10” subwoofers – The pre-installed subwoofer may not give a volume output that doesn’t have the punt you have been looking for! The best-in-class subwoofer comes in size 10” and is very popular too. It grants you that powerful knock to your ears and a better sound quality.
- 12” subwoofers – If you are craving for more then better than the best is a 12” car subwoofer. It gives you the much-needed thump and a top-class bass that your ears want to enjoy while you drive down your favorite route.
- 15” subwoofers – For an audiophile and have empty of space in your vehicle then 15” car subwoofer is what you must look out for. You might want to feel the music in your playlist to jolt you like you were actually present in a live concert.
Subwoofers Enclosure types
A subwoofer’s enclosure helps in increasing the sub’s performance and drastically changes the quality of sound output. Subwoofer enclosures come in various types. Let us look at these enclosure types:
- Sealed Enclosure: A sealed enclosure’s aim is to produce a better, subterranean bass performance. It is made in such a way that even air is not allowed to pass across the covering. Music that requires precise bass and a tighter output require a sealed enclosure. However, it will require a car amplifier that has abundant watt output.
- Ported Enclosure – This type of enclosure is meant for producing music with forced bass. For forceful bass. In this type of enclosure, a vent/port is used to add force to lower bass responses. The rock, heavy metal kind of music needs a ported enclosure that is larger in size.
- Bandpass Enclosure – A Bandpass enclosure brings maximum thump to music output. Though it resembles the ported box design but gives out a louder punch as compared to ported enclosures. The Bandpass has a built-in double chambered box that gives a kick to the sound output for even the music that has lower frequencies.
- Free-air subwoofer Enclosures – The Free-air subwoofer enclosure ensures that the music response gives out the flat frequency response. In this system, the woofers are ascended on the rear deck or kept in the trunk beside rear seat. The enclosure role here is played by the trunk that solves the sound cancellation glitch. These are easy to install as they do not require a box type closures.
Best 10 Car Subwoofers with Comparison Chart
40 - 20000 Hz
7.5 x 6.5 x 7
New Kicker 11HS8
13 x 9 x 3
Dual Electronics BP1204
14.4 x 30 x 14.4
Rockford Fosgate P300
30 - 150 Hz
13/16 x 15 x 11
MTX Audio Terminator Series
28 - 130 Hz
14 x 29 x 13
List of Top Picks for Car Subwoofers
The Kicker 43DSC6504 is another good speaker from Kicker Company that offers reliability and dynamic sound. This is a very good alternative to any other factory made speakers. It has a two-way design that gives the much-needed density to the music output. Its 6.5-inch size is the best replacement for any pre-installed speakers that are custom fit for your vehicle. Though it is a low profile speaker the company has ensured a zero protrusion tweeter. It sounds like a timid sub but the powerful sound that it has, it can really give a good high output. The frequency range is between 40-20,000 Hz. The top mount depth is 1-13/16″. The box contains a pair of 2-way car speakers, plastic butt connectors; speed clips, self-tapping screws, the tinned wire that is 11” in size and an owner’s manual. Kicker offers one year warranty on this model.
The dimensions are pretty comfortable at 7.5 x 6.5 x 7 inches. These are super easy to install and avoids any crackling disturbances. The fabrication is fine quality and can handle up to 60 Watts of RMS. The manufacturer is uncomplicated and is of concrete built as it comes with polypropylene cones, steel framework, and extended voice coil technology. The neodymium magnets in this DS have high-sensitivity motors along with dome-shaped tweeters give a quality sound frequency. Some of the other highlights of this model are:
Buy Now on Amazon
- Stamped steel basket
- Top-mount Depth of 1.8125″
- Cut out Dimensions are 4.8125″
- 4 ohms impedance
- Sensitive power handling at 90db
Good performance with stability is a promise that comes with Kicker sub. It is an 8-inch small device that has RMS power of 150 watts and delivers strong bass. Under the seat or at the back of the car or even in the storage of the car, this small and subtle subwoofer will give the playlist a much-needed kick.
The bass knob comes remote controlled so you can peak the bass levels to a new high. It comes with superb plug-and-play aspect and nylon straps that are Velcro secure. The Hideaway comprises a disconnected harness that makes installation an easy procedure.
Its dimensions 13 7/8 x 9 3/8 x 3 1/8 are meant for fixed locations in a hatchback car but comparatively can be nearly fixed anywhere in bigger sedans or SUVs. One can easily add thumping bass to the car’s audio system with its subwoofer enclosure. The features also include 6dB bass boost up, automatic turn-on choice, phase-canceling switch and much more. The compact powered subwoofer gives a frequency output of 120 HZ and comes with a one year warranty. The box comes with the following things:
Buy Now on Amazon
- Amplified subwoofer
- Wiring harness
- Two 10 amp ATO fuses
- Metal bracket (for mounting remote bass level control)
- 20′ Remote cable (3.5mm stereo mini-plug on both ends)
- Two 10-12 gauge crimp-on ring terminals
- One 10-12 Gauge butt connector
- 4 Flat washers
- 4 Mounting brackets
- Two 3/8″ Self-tapping pan head screws (to mount wired remote)
- Four 3/4″ Self-tapping pan head screws
- Eight 3/4″ Self-tapping flat head screws
- Four 1-3/8″ Self-tapping flat head screws
- Mounting template
- Owner’s manual (English/ Spanish/ German/ French)
Illuminate your car with this high-performance subwoofer. This 12-inch Dual sub is much more capable than any other subwoofer in the category. It offers a peak power of 1000 Watts and has an excellent frequency, highest at 200 kHz. The best sound quality output and efficient tune port are a given in the Dual subwoofer. Its design and construction include high-grade in-line carpet for an aerodynamic sound quality. The company offers a 1-year warranty on the labor and free parts.
The other defined features include:
- Blue color LED Illumination
- Mirrored Chambers
- Engorged Plexi viewing window
- Dual 12″ Bandpass subwoofer
- Durable carpet enclosure with reinforced construction
- Built-in Crossover for ease of installation
- Easy add-on to existing systems
- Dual Chamber Design
- Brushed Aluminium Woofer Cones
For a startling music experience, the Dual BP1204 12-Inch Illumination Bandpass Subwoofer is the best choice amongst its peers. The illuminate bulb adds an enigma to the car in the night drive experience. With great sound, you will also get to enjoy a great deal with two woofers that are twelve inches. It is a great driving experience, which makes the drive an incredible one.
Buy Now on Amazon
Looking out for a subwoofer that comes with a compatible amp and enclosure? The answer lies in the Rockford Fosgate P300. A 12-inch subwoofer, the Rockford Fosgate has a powerful impact and great performance. If you are on a rugged trip then this is the kind of powerful sound you would want to you to accompany. This Rockford Fosgate P300 comes with paired woofers that are assisted by a 300-watt amplifier. The enclosure comes sealed and provides finest sound value. The good quality vinyl coating in the enclosure protects the sub from any kind of damage during a rugged trip. The best use of this subwoofer lies in its features such as low-pass crossover, phase switch and bass boost. You could connect it to any kind of audio system in the car. The box comes with a remote knob that can help in controlling the intensity of the bass from driver’s seat itself.
The box contains following items:
- Four 10 amp ATO fuses – two which are installed and 2 come as spare
- Detachable power plug
- 1Signal input harness of 10”
- Allen wrench that is 3mm
- Metal mounting bracket
- Punch Level Control cable with a 3.5mm plug on both ends
- Two 3/8″ mounting screws
- Hook and Loop mounting straps
- Owner’s manual in English/ French/ Spanish/ German and Italian.
In addition, the P-300 12 contains a phase switch that can be rotated from 0° to 180°. The frequency output is excellent and is ranged between 35 – 150 Hz. The dimensions are 19-13/16″W x 15″H x 11″D1 x 7″ D2 and comes with a warranty of 1 year.
Buy Now on Amazon
Here are the four variations of MTX Audio Terminator Series TNE212D
- 8” powered subwoofer enclosure
- Dual 10″ Subwoofer Enclosure + Amplifier
- Dual 12″ Subwoofer Enclosure
- Dual 12″ Subwoofer Enclosure + Amplifier
We recommend the dual 12-inch subwoofer enclosure in this list. If you are a newbie, then for a start you should try this one.
The MTX TNE212D is inexpensive and can easily be installed using the owner’s manual. This model has been reviewed by many across the internet and most reviews give a class rating to it. The TNE212D ensures performance and is a great value to audiophiles! It comes in a design to vouch for and the unmatched enclosure gives you a performance above expectations. It comes with a single terminal cup and can be connected to an amplifier. The dust caps are made of polypropylene that ensures durability and efficiency. Take the most rugged trip, this model will survive the rigors of the disturbances. Each motor vehicle subwoofer is capable enough to handle 200 watts of RMS power.
The subwoofers come with a perfunctory cooling process. The enclosure is made up of 5/8” medium density fiberboard. Looks wise too this model is classy and very fashionable. It is designed keeping in mind the present day generation’s taste in décor. A high-quality aircraft grade carpet used in the enclosure ensures no wear and tear. The max RMS power that it can afford is 1200 Watts. It weighs 56 pounds and the dimensions are 14 x 29 x 13 inches. The model has a one year warranty period.
Buy Now on Amazon
6. Belva BPKG212v2 – Complete Car Subwoofer Package
The Belva 1200 watt 12-inch subwoofer is one of its latest models that has a dimension of 33 x 15 x 18 inches and weighs 45 pounds. The entire package that is listed here comes with the best supplies you could have asked for. The car audio market is a fast growing one and Belva has ensured that it keeps in line with this growing trend. Belva is brilliant and comes with loaded ported enclosures and a complete bass package. It is affordable, the quality is super fine and installation is very nimble. On purchasing the pack it is a quick four-step guide that will not allow you to waste any time and help you get your vehicle kicking the best bass ever.
The four steps are:
- Install the power connections
- Install the signal connections
- Connect the subwoofers to your car’s audio system and
- Fine tune the amplifier and enjoy your playlist.
Isn’t that super easy process? The package includes wiring coils that are fine quality and can easily be gauged with the amplifier so that its performance is not affected. The ported enclosures allow efficiency and greater bass output.
This BPKG212 comes with two 12-inch subwoofers, a monoblock amplifier, and a complete 8 gauge amplifier kit. It also comes with a remote bass knob that can be controlled from the driver’s seat. The 1200 watts output gives nerve wrenching bass. Other features include:
Buy Now on Amazon
- Woofer Impedance: 4-ohm SVC
- 5″ black aluminum voice coil
- 37 oz. Ferrite magnet motor structure
- Class A/B Monoblock Amp
- Remote bass knob included
- Complete 8 Gauge Amp Kit with 2-Channel RCA Cable
- All-in-one complete subwoofer package compatible with any vehicle
It comes in two sizes 8” and the 10”. In this list, we are covering the 8 inch LOPRO8, which is the best 8-inch subwoofer. The sound storm is the classier sub that you would want for your car.
Some of its features are:
- 800 Watt with a built-in amplifier
- Bass Boost and variable low-pass filter and subsonic filter
- The circuits are short protected and thermal.
- High level and RCA low-level inputs
- Adjustable phase control
Music has never been so enjoyable and the bass would not be so rich if it is not produced through the LoPro8 subwoofer. It gives out a maximum of 600 Watts and can be set up with any audio/stereo system that came pre-installed. This one is a small and a compact subwoofer that has a height of only 3 inches. It is a perfect option for small cars where space is a constraint. So small it is that it can easily be fit under the seat as well.
The sound customization options: remote subwoofer control, subsonic filter, variable low-pass crossover and phase control make it an unmatched subwoofer in the industry. The dimensions are 16.1×12.9×5 inches in size and weigh 12.8 pounds. The subsonic filter range of 20 to 50 Hz is an excellent range of frequency. The 10-inch version can easily be fit into an SUV or a CUV while the 8-inch subwoofers are a great fit for smaller cars. The semiconductor transistors in the audio system help in giving high efficiency. The classy and conventional Class A/B amplifiers work very well with a linear circuit that augments the power efficiency. The shallow design of the amplified subwoofer is quite capable of producing RMS of 400 Watts.
Buy Now on Amazon
If it is precision built in the bass that you are looking out for then the 12W0v3-4 12-inch subwoofer from JL audio is the best option for a subwoofer. The brand itself is a high quality and a reputed one in the market.
This sub comes with tough polypropylene cone that defends against flexing and the high-quality durable foam surrounds will definitely not wear out sooner. The disturbances and distortions are easily cut off because the cone’s extra-long excursion can bear louder sound notes. The 2-inch voice coil ensures good performance and delivers accurate top-notch performance. The design of this model is best suited for medium-sized port enclosures.
Here are few of the highlights of JL Audio 12W0V3:
- 4-ohm subwoofer
- Power output range is between 75-300 watts RMS
- The peak power handling RMS is 600 watts
- The frequency response is between the ranges of 22-250 Hz
- The sensitive handling comes at 85.64 dB. Comes with a warranty of 1 year
The 12W0v3 subwoofer gives a high output of 75 Watts. But we recommend that an amplifier capable of 200- 300 Watts be used along with the subwoofer. The subwoofers are made in such a way that it can be used in both ported and sealed enclosure which means it requires only 1.375 cubic feet of airspace in a sealed box and 1.75 cubic feet in a vented enclosure. This subwoofer also has the dynamic motor analysis system that is responsible for lower distortions and gives better stability to sound output.
Buy Now on Amazon
This is one of the best subwoofer models that you can purchase in order upgrade the sound
system of your car. If you find that it lacks the relished bass then you just have to turn it on and
then experience the rattle rear view.
It features a 3500 watts powerful power output mechanism and offers the option to choose from
dual voice coil or 4 Ohm system. With a super-heavy build structure, it is designed to support
generating extremely robust sounds. In addition to this, the subwoofer conveniently handles 600
watts RMS and when paired with a 500 watt RMS amplifier, it delivers an excellent sound
This 12inch subwoofer requires 1.75 to .85 cuft to work. With this powerful subwoofer pumping
music in your car you would experience an unsurpassed experience. It holds a weight of 18.25lbs
and dimension size of 14.49 x 14.02 x 9.02 inches. With balanced bass mechanism it delivers
soothing sound quality without resulting in any interruptions and unlevelled sound mechanism.
Some of the exclusive specifications of this product are:
Buy Now on Amazon
- Wireless phone accessory
- Amplified subwoofer
- Metal bracket
- Dual voice mechanism
- Easy add on the present systems
- Cut out dimensions
- Metal mounting bracket
- Install the signal connections
- Finely tuned to play balanced music to offer you uninterrupted and balanced voice from all
- Easy connectivity to your present car music system
- Adjustable control and high power range for an unmatched performance
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
The Polk PSW10 single 10-inch subwoofer comes with an en suite amplifier. This means that your music will have a better and bigger bass output. It even has the Klippel measurement technique which is an advanced laser mode technology meant for advanced, profound and clear-cut sound. Its dimensions are 14 width x 14.38 height x 16.12 depths. It is the best subwoofer for your car if you are looking for a 10-inch subwoofer.
Some of the other features include:
- The volume levels can be fine-tuned and help in creating scratch free low frequencies.
- The excellent enclosure design and use of apt material make the sound output crisp and clear.
- It can be easily fit into the car and offers ease of connection. The speaker-level inputs and outputs are easily accessible and hence can connect to any pre-installed music system.
- The circuit in this woofer comes with a smart sense expertise circuitry that can help in curbing distortions in volume disturbances.
- This subwoofer is capable of blending the sound finely with the bass output.
PSW10 is a great sub for any vehicle. It will bring lots of fun to your solo or group driving experience and the configuration is the best available in the market. Critics and reviews from customers have been on the positive side. Polk subwoofers have passed rigorous quality tests since its inception. The PSW10 has passed most comprehensive responsive drop testing, dust resistance exposure testing and even excessive signal disturbance response testing. It comes with one year warranty and the standard voltage level of 120 volts.
Buy Now on Amazon
Belva 1200 Watt
40 - 300 Hz
33 x 15 x 18
Sound Storm LoPro
20 - 50 Hz
16 x 12.9 x 5
JL Audio – 12WoV3
22 - 250 Hz
2 x 12 x 8
Pioneer TS-W3003D4 Champion Series Pro
20 - 80 Hz
12 x 12 x 6.9
Polk Audio PSW10
35 - 200 Hz
14 x 14.38 x 16.12
Finding Out The Right Subwoofer For Your Car
We have already spoken about the acoustics of the car that needs to be aligned with size and output of the music. Let us now look at other features that are essential in understanding the criteria to avail the best experience in purchasing a subwoofer for your car.
The audio output is dependent on the overall design of the speakers/woofers. The making of the woofer is essential, the material used in making a woofer play a crucial role in its effectiveness. These woofers are available in various makes such as Titanium, aluminum, polypropylene and even carbon (a woven fabric).
Elementary to the material used is the surround sound capacity of the subwoofers. The surroundings too come in various makes in accordance with the energy output. Various rubber forms, foam, and cloth materials are used in the making of the surround. However, rubber forms are considered quality as these give high endurance and long-lasting.
Power handling performance
Car subwoofers come with power handling ability. A customer is always on the lookout for the peak intensity that a car subwoofer can provide. RMS or continuous power handling ensures the highest peak is available in continuous momentum. On the contrary, sensitive power handling will demonstrate the quantity of sound that is emitted through the power received by the speaker.
A unique criterion to purchase any subwoofer is the mounting spec, in other words, enclosure spec. It is very necessary to have an out-and-out space for subwoofers to be installed correctly. These mounting specs come pre-made and can even be customized to suit the shape of your car. A word of caution, car speakers and car subwoofers are two different things. The speakers come pre-installed either on the bracket of the car or on the door flap.
The concepts used in above article may well not be familiar with a common man and that is why we bring to you detailed explanation of the terminologies related to car subwoofers. There is no rocket science behind these terms on car subwoofers. Here is a glossary of car subwoofers explained in-depth:
- Low Pass Crossover/Filter: This simply means that the lower frequencies of sound are allocated by the electric auditory filters. This, in turn, becomes a proper transition of the cut-off frequency.
- Mode or Peak: When a frequency of the sound is raised at a certain level, the response creates space within the given enclosure. The peak is nothing else but this level of sound that is created by the bass as a response to frequencies.
- Sensitivity and Efficiency – Often these terms are mixed but are quite different from each other. On one hand, Sensitivity means the amount of output given by the subwoofer when a certain amount of input is supplied to it. Efficiency, on the contrary, is a measurement of the amount of power used by the output and it’s resulting heat production capacity that goes wasted. The cooling of subwoofers is hence very critical.
- Impedance: Also known as ohm rating, Impedance is a measurement used to calculate ohms. When sporadic current flows to the electric circuit inside the subwoofer, it offers a resistance which is measured in ohms. For example, a subwoofer that has a 4-ohm impedance, it is capable to produce extra output than a 6-ohm subwoofer even though the wattage supplied was similar, this happens in cases where resistance is lower.
- Decibel (dB) – This is an important concept in the world of audio systems. The abbreviated terminology dB is a unit of measure that signifies the proportion of an alteration in acoustic sound pressure level and the electric signal level. An individual may not be able to notice alterations if there is a 1dB change in the level but a magnificent 10dB will definitely sound larger enough. The amplifier power plays an important role in decibel output, an increase of 3 decibels in volume levels means the amplifier’s power has to be doubled as well.
- Voice Coil – A coil of wire that surrounds the cylinder in a subwoofer is a voice coil. Its main function is to receive current from the amplifier and then make a reaction with the stationary magnet thus moving the coil up and down. The cylinder is also known as former is connected to the loudspeaker cone. It is responsible for altering the air pressure in the speaker cone, therefore, producing sound.
- Single and Dual voice coil subwoofer – Have you ever noticed that car subwoofers specification sometimes read “Single 4 ohm” and another identical subwoofer may read “dual 4 ohms”. Let us look at the difference between the two voice coil types. A single voice call is a single or one length of wire wrapped around the cylinder (also known as former) while the dual voice coil has two coils of wire surrounded to the former. The Dual Voice Coil is, of course, the better option as it offers flexibility and it is also on the higher side when it comes to price comparison between the two.
Who would want to drive a car that has no powerful audio system in place? Imagine yourself driving down the country roadside with no powerful music tuning the thump of your heart! Doesn’t it sound boring? Well, then one must make the car audio livelier and make it a prerequisite to purchasing a car subwoofer that is sophisticated and brings verve to your favorite playlist. We are not asking you to buy the most expensive subwoofer available in the market but get an urbane car subwoofer that adds lots of extra zing to your favorite road trip.
For more information related to essential items for automobiles, please visit our homepage AutoEssential